The season comes to a climax this week for a couple of our teams hoping to play finals this year.
Unfortunately Div 3 had a close loss at home against another finals contender in Mulgrave. This leaves the team needing to beat Vermont South away next Tuesday and needing Auburn to be beaten to ensure a finals spot. This section is very tight with just over 16 points between first and fifth. Good luck guys, our hopes of success are with you.
The Div 5 has been far more competitive this year and ventures to Sandringham for the last game of the year.
I am hoping to arrange a bit of a season celebration back at the club rooms after the game Tuesday. For those interested, stay and watch the night pennant and support those having a go on behalf of the club.
Tuesday Night Pennant:
4 wins in a row amazingly has us on the edge of the final 4. 5 games to go and some of our new bowlers are really enjoying the night pennant experience.
We really hope that they will enjoy it enough to keep coming back and to consider day pennant next year.
The Div 7 side has done all it can. Beating Richmond Union now forces Eltham to win both their final two games and one is away against the top side in Fairfield. With two byes in the next 2 weeks we will keep bowlers together with practice and competition for which I am thankful that Roger Morrisson is taking control. We will of course have one eye on the result. Stay for a sandwich and to support Div 4 against Sandringham.
The Div 4 side has lost a couple of games but effectively can’t finish lower than 3rd for the normal season which is a great effort given the chopping and changing it has endured as we tried to get wins and promotion for Div 7. The Div 4 side will enjoy having a few bowlers watching and supporting on Saturday after the Div 7 practice is completed.
Great to have Tatts with us again last Wednesday. A great night as usual and a lot of money raised to support breast cancer research which was a great initiative from Tatts.
- Please continue to support our Wednesday night dinners, lists are at the club
- I will shortly be putting a draw together for the Novice Championship (looking at running this the Saturday after finals are completed to end our season) for all bowlers with less than 3 years experience for all to have a go…..all bowlers who qualify will be entered. It’s great experience and great fun.
- There are still competitions to be plays for 100 up and 21 up and mixed pairs so good luck to all those entered
- We will shortly advise of a couple of tournaments, Hocking Stuart Cup and Regis Cup and details surrounding these after season competitions
- We will be providing in the next couple of weeks an information sheet from committee regarding the direction of Bowls Vic for the future of Bowls in Victoria to keep all members abreast of the current status.
- We are about to commence a program to get an accessible toilet into Malvern. We have confirmed funding from Bendigo Bank and from Kelly O’Dwyer through grants.
- Anyone wanting a night pennant game in the last 5 weeks still welcome, please contact me directly.
- We have a couple of long term members leaving the club to relocate states and countries at the end of this year. In typical Malvern spirit we will be arranging an afternoon tea in their honour to say a fitting good bye and good luck. Stay tuned for details.
- We have already confirmed 3 new recruits for next year, some old faces and some new all of which will help lift the bowling standard. Once we have transfer forms we will advise the details.
Good luck and good bowling to everyone this Saturday.
President – Malvern Bowling Club