Malvern Bowling Club aims to reflect the increasingly diverse community in which we all live and our club is determined to reduce barriers to fun and participation by anyone and everyone. From meeting a friend for ‘a roll’ and a coffee in the quiet of a sunny Spring morning, to winding down with a few mates over a glass of something cold and refreshing on a warm Summer’s evening, social bowling at Malvern is casual and relaxed. Other than the necessity for lawn bowls shoes (or bare feet!) on our beautiful bent grass green, there’s no dress code. Note that due to the works being undertaken on the new green, barefoot bowls wont be available until mid-March.
Social bowls options at MBC include:
- Wednesday Barefoot Bowls, Bar and Community Meal or snacks – This kicks off around 5 pm every Wednesday night between October and May and you don’t need to be a member to join in the fun! Just phone us by 3 pm Monday, let us know how many of you would like to come along (so we can cater for you) and whether you’d like to roll a bowl or prefer to just grab a glass of something refreshing from the bar and watch. At MBC we pride ourselves on being a community club, so dinner is deliberately a low cost, healthy, convivial, ‘cheap and cheerful’ meal (often cooked on the barbecue) by club volunteers, to suit the budgets of the broadest possible range of people in the Stonnington Community. Click here to book or enquire further.
- Book Your Own Rink – We also accept group bookings for those wishing to play in a corporate or family group. Click here for further info.
- Thursday Night Training – Although training at Malvern Bowling Club is as much a social activity as anything else, with lots of laughs and a hint of light-hearted ‘sledging’, we boast some excellent and experienced bowlers and the club overall is currently on the rise. Training nights are a great opportunity to dip your toe in the water. If you’re curious about learning how to bowl, just walk through the front gate on a Thursday night after 4 pm, during the bowls season from early October to early March, grab the nearest bowler and ask them to introduce you to one of our coaches or committee members.
- Friday Drinks – Simply drop in to the club late on a Friday afternoon (between October and May) around 4.30 pm, when a few of our members will be sharing a drink, recapping the week and perhaps rolling a lazy bowl or two. This is a great chance to get a feel for the place and if you ask nicely someone will usually be happy to find a set of club bowls for you to try your hand with.
- Joe’s Sunday Clinic – Joe Aarons, Malvern Bowling Club coach and former head of World Bowls (the World International Federation for the Sport of Bowls) conducts a beginners’ class for new club members at 10 am most Sundays between October and March. To attend and learn how to play bowls, just contact the club on 9509 2004.
And for those wishing to take their bowling to the next level there’s always Bowls Victoria’s Metropolitan Pennant competition.
To learn more about Pennant options at Malvern Bowling Club, click here.
For more information about joining Malvern Bowling Club, as either a Social, Social Bowling, or Full Member (eligible for Pennant), click here.