Well Meatloaf said 2 out of 3 aint bad so on that basis 3 out of 4 must be bloody terrific!!!!! The facts are that this little bowling club has now successfully got 3 out of 4 teams into finals this year. I am not sure if we have ever achieved this in the past so a huge congratulations to all bowling members, every single one of you who pulled on the Malvern shirt has contributed to the season results:
For the record:
One winning rink led amazingly by Dee Finemore got Malvern over the line against Vermont South. As I always say losing rinks win you games and the fact that the other 2 rinks hung in there with Rodger Kimpton’s rink getting a 6 during the day all assisted for an overall 4 shot win. A loss by Ashburton to Auburn at Ashburton meant we needed a miracle!!!! Mulgrave CC played Elsternwick Club at Mulgrave. Elsternwick had won one game all year and Mulgrave were sitting 2nd only needing to beat the bottom side to finish 1st or 2nd. So tight was this section that only 10 points separated 2nd to 5th. We needed Mulgrave to take no more than 2 points………….and miracles do happen, Elsternwick Club beats Mulgrave away from home and Mulgrave take 2 points to finish 5th and allow us to sneak into the finals!!!!!!
A great season and now a final to look forward to.
It must be mentioned in no lower tones the Div 5 Tuesday team, with a make up of new and inexperienced bowlers winning 3 games against the top sides this year has been a huge improvement. We look forward to seeing a few of the newer bowlers pushing for games in the higher side next year but a job well done this year to all that participated.
Div 4 had a win on Saturday albeit a struggle at home against Sandringham. We will finish 3rd and play either St Kilda or Caulfield Park away in the first week of finals. We have one more regular season game and look forward to all bowlers finding form at Armadale and gaining some confidence for the final. A really good result for this team showing the depth we now have as we have really loaded the Div 7 all season to qualify bowlers and this has had an impact on Div 4 but we have continued to win and the result is a great one for all that have contributed.
Div 7 had a great practice session run by Rodger and Roger, we have our own version of the two Ronnies in the two Rogies!!!! Thanks for all bowlers who came for the practice and those that stayed to support Div 4, it is important to keep everyone practicing and this form will be integral in selecting the finals side!!!! Did I say FINALS side!!!! Yes I did, our stated aim was to try and get this side from Div 7 to Div 6. Eltham got smashed at Fairfield and we are in with one week of the regular season to go. A huge version of the song led by our spiritual leader, Phin Meere welcomed in the finals berth for both teams after a less than convincing happy birthday to our friend from NZ, Gerald Meuli who celebrated his 109th birthday…….that’s 64 or 5 in Australian years after the currency exchange!!! Happy Birthday Gerald.
Now Fairfield is a particular green, very slow and rough and this will also be taken into account as a number of our bowlers do struggle on heavy greens and we need to be very cognizant of giving ourselves the best opportunity to get promotion but this means beating Fairfield to get that promotion.
Keep practicing, the selectors will be watching and conversing with skips to help get the best possible teams we can to compete.
For those not aware of how it works the next week commencing 9th March starts the finals, if either side wins the divisional finals will be the next day, 10th March. Please make sure selectors are aware if you are not available for selection, the most likely situation is that we will select sides for both Saturday and Sunday.
- Please continue to support our Wednesday night dinners, lists are at the club
- I will shortly be putting a draw together for the Novice Championship (looking at running this the Saturday after finals are completed to end our season) for all bowlers with less than 3 years experience for all to have a go…..all bowlers who qualify will be entered. It’s great experience and great fun. Depending on finals this could be Saturday 23rd March or Saturday 30th March
- There are still competitions to be plays for 100 up and 21 up and mixed pairs so good luck to all those entered, these appear to be lagging a bit so please let’s try and get these done, there are not that many entrants this year
- We will shortly advise of a couple of tournaments, Hocking Stuart Cup and Regis Cup and details surrounding these after season competitions. Hocking Stuart Cup will be internal triples (random draw) to be held April 6th. The Regis Cup will be a random draw pairs played over 3 games of 7 ends each. A date and entry form will be at the club soon depending on finals dates.
- Closing of the green is slated for Monday 6th May to allow some ongoing seed work to be started. We will advise the Trophy presentation day in due course and put a list in the club, potentially May 5th so keep that clear at this stage.
- We will be providing in the next couple of weeks an information sheet from committee regarding the direction of Bowls Vic for the future of Bowls in Victoria to keep all members abreast of the current status.
- We are about to commence a program to get an accessible toilet into Malvern. We have confirmed funding from Bendigo Bank and from Kelly O’Dwyer through grants. Thanks to the newly formed sub-committee of Peter Nowatschenko, Malcolm McLean, Penny Gamble, Roger Morrison and Andy Smith with Phin Meere consulting to the sub-committee. The stated aim is to get this in and running by next season commencement.
- Anyone wanting a night pennant game in the last 4 weeks still welcome, please contact me directly.
- We have a couple of long term members leaving the club to relocate states and countries at the end of this year. In typical Malvern spirit we will be arranging an afternoon tea in their honour to say a fitting good bye and good luck. Stay tuned for details.
Good luck and good bowling to everyone this Saturday.
President – Malvern Bowling Club